Beatrix Ost – The girl with an external view of her life.Posted: August 20, 2013
Most people myself included have a pretty much internal view of themselves. We stroll through life not really caring what we look like as long as its an approximation of “fitting in”. Our internal checklist for a day gives our look the same degree of attention as the everything else:
– Get Washed
– Get Dressed
– Get to Work
– Get Lunch
– Get Home
– Get Dinner
– Get Sex
– Get Sleep
Black leggings may be purchased by a girl looking for a specific look and worn till they bag around the bum, knees and have holes in the toes. Cheap jeans sag after the first months wear yet they remain a wardrobe staple for years. The internal compromise we make is not caring if our look is 25% away from where we ideally want it to be. Some may try to defend themselves: I need more time go shopping or I need more money because I can’t afford a new pair of jeans which is fair enough. These are the excuses I use every day…..
This means that most people leave the house looking 75% of where their ideal is. In academic circles 75% is a solid C mark.
There are a few people I’ve come across in life or the media who consistently hit a solid A. These are people with an external view of their lives. The people who’se imaginations place them in the situations they are going to encounter through the day and then dress perfectly according to that situation. Its not about money its about the external view they have of themselves.
These special people look at themselves as part of a complete picture. Their home, work and favourite haunts become places they see themselves – pastiche memoir……. I imagine their checklist to be:
– Wake to birdsong in silk negligee, slip on slippers make way to window and open. Open eyes.
– Breakfast on toast sitting on back garden step with sun on my face and little Fido nuzzling for tit-bits
– The dropped negligee floats to the floor outside the shower. The shower is on cold it invigorates my skin
– Cropped satin dressing gown on and sit at dressing table applying the regime. Listen to answer phone messages.
– Inspect my wardrobe choice for the day and dress. Remember the choices I made over the past few years which bought this whole outfit together.
– Make way to mirror and inspect from every angle. Bend over and stretch high, understand how the outfit works, what it allows and what it constrains. Remember my diary for the day and envirsion myself in those situations.
– Make way to window and close it whilst winking at the world saying “I’m coming to get you”.
– Walk through the park to work meeting up with work friends on the way.
– Work, While taking phone calls stretch and pose regularly through the morning.
– Walk home via the galleries seeing if any new works have arrived
– Undress while walking up the stairs arriving in the bedroom naked. Open the window slowly feeling the breeze wash over body.
– A cold invigorating shower refreshes my skin and mind.
– Dress for the evening, and retire to the kitchen, open the garden door and cook.
– Make love, perhaps to myself.
– Close eyes. Dream of the perfect colour nail varnish to compliment the day next week when you have to visit the your great aunt in the country.
Today I came across Beatrix Ost who is undoubtedly one of these people.
She has a video on Nowness. Here